Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chris Dyer on Homeschooling

Chris Dyer, candidate in District 1, has responded below:


1. To what extent do you support parental choice in regards to education?

I know what's best for my children. I should have every option available to educate my children.

2. Do you support the annual registration of homeschoolers in Nevada?

I would support one time registration. As long as the child remains in the same school, there's no need to re-register.

3. Do you believe homeschoolers should be subject to standardized testing?

That's one for Nevada voters. I actually enjoyed taking the standardized tests when I was in school. They're was no preparation and it didn't affect our grades. I have heard the schools now just teach kids how to pass the test and not much else. If that's what standardized testing gets us then we can do without it.

4. Do you support a tax credit/rebate to homeschooling families?

Sure. Public schools are overburdened and in some instances broken. Public schools should have to compete with private schools, charter schools, and home schoolers. I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to invest our tax money in the best education for our children.

5. Anything else to add or could you provide a short overview of your stance on education:

I believe the federal government needs to get out of the education business. Let the voters of the states decide.

No comments: